Looking at two countries at the same time from the same place? That’s not something that you can do just anywhere, is it?
In 1682, this was just a small hermitage. We know this thanks to a granite inscription that appears on the western door, although it is also known that in 1408 a hermitage dedicated to Saint Ginés already existed in this place. The new hermitage was inaugurated in 1946, after having undergone a series of refurbishments and extensions over the centuries, it is currently the Sanctuary of the Town’s Patron Saint.
Inside there is the main altar, a dressing room and a side altar where Saint Bartholomew is venerated, as well as a choir and polychrome stained-glass windows that represent the four evangelists, as well as a bronze and crystal lamp. In the early 1990s, work was started to build the small square in front of the hermitage, where a traditional offering auction is held on the first Sunday of September.
Inside, there is the Virgin of Los Remedios, a much-loved image among the residents of the town and the surrounding districts, the first reference to which was in the year 1700. In 1998, the altarpiece of the neoclassical main was modified and expanded. A canvas is also preserved which was a gift from the Marquess of Los Remedios, which represents the Descent of Christ, created by José de Nin y Tudó.
There is also a crucified wooden Christ which was created at the Madrid’s Casa Garín in 1978. The building’s basement contains an exhibition room, inaugurated in 2017, which has various different cloaks, gifts, photographs and costumes of the Patron Saint.
Traditionally, the Day of Los Remedios is celebrated on the first Sunday of September, when the hermitage and all its surroundings are filled with people from the town itself as well as from other parts of Spain.