The hidden history of this building

This emblematic building is located in the Plaza de la Constitución Square, a privileged location in the town’s nerve centre for centuries, along with other key buildings for the development of the town, such as the Church of the Incarnation and the Town Hall, or the now unused provisions market. Observe how all of these buildings form a beautiful and harmonious whole.

This building, known as the Old Town Hall and Government House, was built in the 16th century with the latter name, occupying the entire block. Inside were the Courts of Justice, the granaries, some stables and the jail. After the construction of the new Town Hall, this building became the Governor’s House, although there were periods when it was used for other purposes.

Do not miss the chance to take a look at this imposing building and delve a bit deeper into the history of the enclave of Valencia de Alcántara, one of Spain’s most important border towns.

Up until the year 1855 there were several governors who had lived in this house, when it was put up for auction as a result of the disendowments. When it became private property, it underwent renovations which changed its original appearance and caused some of the shields that decorated the façade to disappear, leaving only the Coat of Arms of Carlos I on the main façade.

It should also be noted that, during the War of Independence, the Supreme Council of Extremadura moved to Valencia de Alcántara and published La Gazeta Extraordinaria de Extremadura (The Extraordinary Gazette of Extremadura) in this town from 1810 to 1812.

Did you know that…

  • At the beginning of the 19th century, one of the Governors ordered the construction of an elevated passageway on Calle del Patio Street to connect his home (located in front of the Church of the Incarnation). to this building. Although it no longer exists today, you can still make out the door which has been converted into a semi-walled window on the side of the building.
  • At the beginning of the 20th century, it housed the College of Religious Order of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.